From Fixing The Schools a Sketchbook from Kauffman Foundation.
Teachers need to play multiple roles since they have a mix of students coming from very different backgrounds. Students have:
- Different levels of knowledge
- Different learning styles
- Different levels and different types of intelligence (see multiple intelligences by Howard Gardner)
- Come from different family backgrounds, resulting in different levels of involvement by parents
To handle a mix of students, teachers need to:
- Knows the subject matter well and in depth
- Have the ability to answer why questions
- Need to use multiple techniques to deal with learning styles and learning approaches
This picture is a great depiction of how a teacher needs to play multiple roles.